* IGRF values as of 2015.
The Geomagnetism Program established its first observatory at Cheltenham Maryland in 1900, when the Program was part of the Coast and Geodetic Survey and under the leadership of Drs Louis A. Bauer and John A. Fleming. The observatory was moved to Fredericksburg in 1956, a site which for many years served as the Program’s headquarters. Today, because it has produced high-quality data for so many years, Fredericksburg is one of the world’s most important observatories.
In 1862 a major battle was fought at Fredericksburg Virginia during the American Civil War, a tragic event that cost over 15,000 lives, many of whom are buried at the nearby Fredericksburg National Cemetery.
- Addresses on the occasion of the Completion of One-Third of a Century of Continuous Observations at the Cheltenham Magnetic Observatory of the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey, Cheltenham, Maryland.
- Public Law authorizing the construction of the Fredericksburg observatory.
- Magnetic Station In Virginia Gets Approval of House from The Washington Post, Aug 7, 1951.
- Geodetic Survey Set to Dedicate Observatory from The Washington Post and Times Herald, May 20, 1956.
- U. S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE COAST & GEODETIC SURVEY Fredericksburg Magnetic Observatory and Laboratory Corbin, Virginia, 1956.
- A seismometer for the USGS Advanced National Seismic System program
- A global positioning system (GPS) station, and other survey equipment, for the National Geodetic Survey of NOAA, operated under terms of a memorandum of agreement with the USGS
- Network Operations Center (NOC) for the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) serving 183 elementary, secondary, residential and peripheral dormitories across 23 states and two (2) post-secondary schools: Haskell Indian Nations University and Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute.