* IGRF values as of 2015.
The Geomagnetic Program, then part of the US Coast and Geodetic Survey, began work in Fairbanks during the Second International Polar Year, 1932-1934, as part of an effort with the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism of the Carnegie Institution. Collaborative work with the University of Alaska began in the 1940's, with the full-fledged College observatory commencing operation in 1948. Today, the College observatory is located on the College International Geophysical Observatory (CIGO), a facility established in 1996 through a collaborative effort between the USGS Geomagnetism Program and the University of Alaska. The CIGO is managed by the University's Geophysical Institute. In 2009, the 46-acre site was renamed to the Jack Townshend CIGO, in honor of longtime USGS employee Jack Townshend, the visionary and developer of the site.
- A borehole seismometer for the USGS Global Seismic Network
- A seismometer for the Alaskan Tsunami Warning Center
- A small coil-caliboration facility developed in collaboration with the University and the USGS
- A magnetometer operated for the Geophysical Institute Magnetometer Array
- An infrasound array operated by the Infrasound Research Group of the UAF/GI
- World-Wide Lightning Location Network (WWLLN)